36 months (2003-2006)
- University of Patras - Department of Mechanical & Aeronautics Engineering
- University of Patras - Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering
- University of Patras - Department of Computer Engineering & Informatics
- ELKEDE – Technology & Design Centre
Research Group (Robotics Group):
- Prof. Nikos A. Aspragathos (Project Coordinator)
- Panagiotis N. Koustoumpardis (Technical Researcher)
- George Zoumponos (PhD Student)
- Paraskevi Zacharia (PhD Student)
The main aim of this project is to develop new intelligent methods for the robotic handling of non-rigid materials such as fabrics. The project is focused in the automated sewing of fabrics using a multi-sensor fusion system
as well as in the quality control of the fabrics using machine vision. The innovative approaches will be based on Artificial Intelligent methods: Fuzzy Logic and Neural Networks.
- To train new researchers in the technology of automated handling of non-rigid materials and the technology of the cloth making industry.
- To develop intelligent algorithms for fabric handling strategies and for fabric quality control.
- To develop experimental intelligent devices, for separating-handling-translating-inspecting fabrics, in order to test the intelligent algorithms in laboratory conditions.
- To develop and test an integrated experimental system for the robotic sewing and the fabric quality control.
- To demonstrate the results (acquired knowledge and experimental devices) in cloth making industries.